Wrapped Bitcoin than were actually created by bitcoin miners as the Ethereum-based decentralized finance (DeFi) boom shows no signs of abating.” data-reactid=”19″ type=”text”>Since Sunday, 1,043 more bitcoins were tokenized through Wrapped Bitcoin than were actually created by bitcoin miners as the Ethereum-based decentralized finance (DeFi) boom shows no signs of abating.
- About 900 bitcoins are mined per day, given the current issuance rate of 6.25 bitcoins minted per block and the target 10-minute block time.
- At last check, nearly 31,000 bitcoins have been tokenized on Ethereum, according to Dune Analytics, 75% of which were minted by Wrapped Bitcoin (WBTC).
- Ethereum’s supply of tokenized bitcoins hovered below 3,000 until mid May when the rate of new tokens shot up.
- The rate of bitcoin tokenization signals the surging demand to use bitcoin in the burgeoning network of Ethereum-based DeFi applications.
- “WBTC continues to exhibit strong growth as demand for bitcoin in DeFi has exploded,” said Kyle Davies, co-founder of Three Arrows Capital, in a private message with CoinDesk. “I expect this trend to continue,” he added.
- In July, Three Arrows Capital minted its tokenized bitcoins through BitGo, the company that helped spearhead Wrapped Bitcoin in 2019.
- Within a year, WBTC will be a “first class asset” in the decentralized finance ecosystem, predicted Three Arrows co-founder Su Zhu, “just as USDC and USDT are now.”